?

No account? Create an account

I noticed that the MOTD currently displays this: Bypassing passwords… - JJ2 List Servers News and Updates

About I noticed that the MOTD currently displays this: Bypassing passwords…

Previous Entry Mar. 17th, 2005 @ 04:06 pm Next Entry
I noticed that the MOTD currently displays this:

Bypassing passwords on private servers is against List Server Protocol.
Anyone found to being doing so may find there ability to play JJ2 online
limited or disabled. They could also find themselves blocked from major
community events like Anniversary Bash, Tournaments etc.

This seems contrary to Monolith's draft rules proposal. As far as I can see, bypassing passwords on private servers has absolutely nothing to do with the list server itself. The consequences are not detailed, but I assume "ability to play JJ2 online limited or disabled" means a ban from the list server. While I have no problem with programming changes to hide private servers on port 10057, I think banning from public list servers for what happens in a private communication between two individual computers is beyond its jurisdiction. Analogous would be removing a site from a search engine database because it hacked another site in the database.

Thoughts?
Leave a comment
From:jlindsey
Date:March 18th, 2005 03:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
My thoughts were the same when Nimrod presented this to me. I don't agree with this idea or MOTD.
From:albertocastillo
Date:March 18th, 2005 08:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I agree, and it was me the one who suffered this, I was with someone on a private server and we were invaded by password skippers who take advantage of Contrabandent list because of being outdated and displaying the private address of the servers.
Even if the "big" problem comes from the game, Contrabandent only helps people to skip password servers.
I agree with the MOTD at all, because password skipping it's something it shouldn't be done, and people seem to not be listening to this.
From:jlindsey
Date:March 18th, 2005 10:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, people shouldn't be skipping passwords, but this isn't something for the list servers to get involved with.

The service of the list servers is a passive public service. It has one very simple job of allowing people to get a list of JJ2 servers currently online. Modifying user's access to the list servers based upon actions outside the list servers is not something the list servers should be dealing with. Plus things like community events should be completely unrelated to the list servers.

It's impossible to completely hide your IP if your server is listed on the list servers, so if you really don't want people joining your server, then host it so it's not listed.
From:nimroddx
Date:March 18th, 2005 08:20 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, for the record the MOTD was taken down, at least until we debated this some more.

The purpose of the MOTD was to stress to users that bypassing private games isnt really acceptable (similar to cheating, renaming or crashing). I did put threats in there, and although I most likely wouldnt enforce them the threat was there to make people feel its a serious issue.

Quite frankly I think it is a serious issue, but there is no one person/group who has ultimate control over this. People seem to pass on their compliants to me thinking its my job and well, no one else seemed to want to do so I put my foot down.

Then again, why would you want someone to be able to play online who blantly abuses the game?